The scope of the project was to design and implement the following works:
- Footbridge & escalator install ahead of Edinburgh Fringe Festival where passenger numbers treble
- Extending Platform 5&6 by 275m into the heart of the station
- Full upgrade and refit of the former BTP building to provide accommodation within the station
- Installing crossover to Platform 10&11 ahead of the May timetable changes
- Upgrades to the South approach ramp to provide new facilities
- Installation of revenue protection gate lines
- Platform 19 upgrades to provide compliant platforms
- New OLE wire run and relocation of signals on new gantry
• Running day and night for over 12 months, multiple workfaces were all ongoing at the same time, to ensure the major station upgrade works required were delivered on time.
• The project team were able to meet all the tight milestones of the work with a minimum of disruption to the tens of thousands of customers who use Waverley every day.
• Edinburgh Waverley currently has an average annual footfall of 29.4 million passengers, which is set to rise to 40 million passengers by 2024. The infrastructure upgrade works, and the new rolling stock it will enable, delivered by Story Contracting on behalf of Network Rail, will help to transform travel to and from Edinburgh Waverley, meeting the future demand of a growing passenger base at the station.
16,000 man hours worked
72 engineering trains
Edinburgh Waverley is at the heart of the capital and a vital part of our rail network – carrying passengers across the length of Scotland and south to London on the East Coast Main Line.
“The work we have delivered over the last two years will help to make sure the station can continue to play an important role in the economic and social life of the city.
Kevin McClelland, Route Delivery Director for Infrastructure Projects
Find out how we can help you
Find out how we can help you on To find out more about how we can help you deliver your project contact Richard Hensman on on 0141 212 4434.