Do you want to be part of a successful, dynamic, forward-thinking business? Do you have a proactive approach and enjoy an engaging fast-paced role? As part of continued growth, we now have a new opportunity for an Engineering Manager in our Rail Division.
This role is a senior permanent appointment into our Major Projects team initially to support the Midland Main Line Route clearance portfolio. The role will provide engineering support in the form of design management through the ECI phases of ES3/4&5 together with Construction Phase CRE for Civils and through development, CEM capability. This is a further strategic appointment along with other vacant position (currently contract filled) to provide engineering support to the core Major Projects team.
Based from one of our regional offices as an operation base, and reporting to the Regional Engineering Manager for Major Projects, you will provide dependable and competent technical support and advice to our project teams throughout our portfolio of works. You will need to have a wide ranging experience of the railway industry and be a specialist in one of the core disciplines where Story Contracting deliver the majority of schemes, however a sound knowledge of other disciplines to assist inter disciplinary interface would be advantageous. The role-holder will have demonstrable experience of delivery of multi-disciplinary projects with a system engineering capability.
We are seeking candidates that can manage the technical aspects of a project throughout the full life cycle through pre-construction from early feasibility and design phases, through to delivery and successful hand back and commissioning.
Your key responsibilities will include:
- Discharge the duties of Contractors Responsible Engineer (CRE) in accordance with NR/L2/RSE/02009 on behalf of Story Contracting on a scheme specific basis throughout the lifecycle of the project.
- Where required, also discharge the duties of Temporary Works Coordinator (TWC) in accordance with BS5975.
- Oversee all technical aspects of project delivery by supporting our site-based construction management team. Take accountability for the quality assurance of our projects by supporting the supervisory and engineering teams in the management of Quality Plans and Temporary Works.
- Provide support to the various teams offering technical guidance and best practice with particular emphasis on the estimating function, design, project development.
- Take an active role in the development of the engineering capability for junior and graduate engineers, within Story Contracting by providing Continuous Professional Development, mentorship and guidance to CRE candidates.
- Provide support to the Regional Engineering Manager to develop new and existing work streams by providing confidence in the company’s ability to plan and execute works to the highest standards.
As the right candidate for this role, you will preferably be a degree-qualified engineer and a member of a suitable professional engineering institution. You will have a high level of understanding on all current safety legislation and be able to contribute to the safe management of design, development and construction. An in-depth knowledge of Network Rail Standards and the Engineering Lifecycle of a project is also a key requirement.
At Story Contracting, we invest in our people. We provide award-winning training and development opportunities for all employees to help you get to where you want to be in your career.
In addition to a competitive salary and pension, we show we care about our people by offering a health cash plan and wellbeing support to keep you fit and well - inside and outside of work.
Our agile working policy allows for a mixture of office and home working, and flexible working arrangements are available so that our people are engaged to give their best.
We care about our communities too and offer our employees two paid for volunteering days each year to spend as a team or individually.
You ideally will have
- Some previous experience in similar work
- A flair for being organised and finding solutions
- Enjoy working as part of a team
Why Story Contracting?
Story Contracting is a privately-owned, award-winning infrastructure company who is financially secure and agile with a wide range of public, private and third sector clients who enjoy working with our talented and committed team. Our track record for delivery on time and to budget, safely and reliably, has meant repeat business from our clients, which is reflected in our motto of ‘Do It Right!’
Our values are at the heart of everything we do - the way we work and the behaviours we display. We believe that this is what makes Story Contracting and our people exceptional.
GROUNDED - Everyone is equal at Story. We are down to earth and treat each other with respect.
HARDWORKING - We all pull our weight and work hard for each other.
PROUD - We are proud of our safety, our projects, our people, our clients and the success we create together.
FAMILY - We nurture, train, develop and keep our people safe, just like a family. We are inclusive and do the right thing for the business and its people.
TRUSTED - What we say is what we do. Our clients, our people and our communities trust us to do it right.
WINNERS - We are hungry for success and want to be the best performing contractor for our clients, our people and our communities.
Every Story Matters
We are proud to be a place where everyone can be part of the Story!
As part of our pledge to eliminate discrimination and encourage diversity among our Story Team, our ‘Every Story’ policy ensures all employees are a part of a diverse environment and always feel included.
All applicants will receive careful consideration for employment regardless of who you are, where you come from or what you believe in.
Think you’d be a good fit?
Successful applicants will be contacted shortly after the closing date.
Apply now to start your Story.