Kilwinning, North Ayrshire
The scope of the project was to design and implement the following works:
- Provide accessibility to all users across all station platforms
- Installation of 3no. lifts and a gantry spanning all 4no. platforms
- Removal of existing footbridges between platforms
- Replacement of all station lighting and CCTV systems
- Installation of temporary footbridge to accomodate passengers throughout duration of the works
- Provide all new ducting for services
- Removal of existing paint and repairs to original sandstone frontage
- Removal of return conductor wire through platform 3 to allow the new bridge to be positioned.
The Story team put community engagement at the heart of the project, delivering a number on initiatives to benefit the local residents and children in Kilwinning, as well as employing labour from the local area to work on the project.
Engaging with local Abbey Primary School, Story donated a priority waiting shelter from the station, delivered a STEM session and held a rail safety poster competition, from which the winning entries are now displayed in the station permanently.
In order to work effectively in a busy, live station, Story liaised closely with the client, station staff and all local stakeholders to ensure the project was delivered efficiently and with as little disruption to the general public as possible. This close liaison ensured that Story maintained an excellent working relationship with the client and subcontractors, allowing any changes, issues or potential delays to be resolved quickly and effectively.
Working to a new ‘one-off’ design presented the team with many challenges, including working with stone cladding shipped from China and the need to navigate the difficult interface issues posed by the many glazed areas throughout the structure.
127t of steelwork installed
3no. lift shafts installed across station
Find out how we can help you
Find out how we can help you on To find out more about how we can help you deliver your project contact Richard Hensman on 0141 212 4434..