- The course is designed to train persons who have been nominated by their line manager/sponsor to enable them to attain the Controller of Site Safety (COSS) competence.
- The COSS competence will be held by anyone who is required to set up a safe system of work on or the line for a group (two or more people). A COSS can also carry out the duties of an IWA, provided there are no medical restrictions that would prevent this.
- The COSS course will take delegates through the procedures set out in the Rule Book, Handbook 6 (General Duties of an IWA), Handbook 7 (General duties of a controller of site safety (COSS), Handbook 8 (IWA,COSS or PC blocking a line), Handbook 10 (Duties of the COSS and person in charge of a hand trolley) and Handbook 13 (Duties of the person in charge of the siding).
- The course includes the importance of using the correct communication protocols and adopting the appropriate behaviours to be able to carry out this role safely and effectively.
Upon successful completion of this course, competencies will be uploaded to Sentinel.
Candidates will undertake their required elements of the COSS Recertifcation course ie. OLP, CRP LLT, IWA, DCCR Recert. Candidates must hold DCCR competence in order to do the CRP/LLT part of the course.
- Minimum age of 18.
- Meets the entry requirements of PTS Competence
- Good level of literacy required
- Must hold a valid Sentinel Track Safety Card and meet the requirements of NR/L2/CTM/021 – Competence and Training in Track Safety.
- Meet the medical requirements of Network Rail Standard NR/L2/OHS/00124 Competence Specific Fitness Medical Requirements.
- In addition, the requirements of Network Rail Standard NR/L1/OHS/051 (Drugs & Alcohol) must be met.