Are you an enthusiastic team player? Do you want to make a difference in a growing region?
We have an exciting opportunity for a Senior Estimator to join our Rail Division, based in our Normanton - there has never been a better time to join!
As a Senior Estimator at Story Contracting, you will lead on estimating processes to produce high quality, commercially viable work winning tenders on multi-million-pound projects across multiple disciplines. Work types include but not limited to; Geotech, Drainage, Structures, Buildings & Permanent Way. You will be a key member of the team and develop junior staff, department strategies, processes, and best practices.
- Being a key representative of the estimating team both within the business and client facing.
- Preparation of detailed first principles estimates.
- Benchmarking exercises to inform commercial positions of tenders.
- Working with operational, engineering, and commercial staff to produce viable estimates.
- General bid management on day-to-day tenders.
- Subcontractor engagement at tender stage, producing enquiries and assessing returns from supply chain.
- Risk and opportunity evaluation on tenders.
- Presenting tender positions to senior management for governance sign off.
- Developing team members.
- Working with clients to understand their goals and ensure a collaborative relationship.
At Story Contracting, we invest in our people. We provide award-winning training and development opportunities for all employees to help you get to where you want to be in your career.
In addition to a competitive salary, pension, and company car/allowance, we show we care about our people by offering a health cash plan and wellbeing support to keep you fit and well - inside and outside of work.
Our agile working policy allows for a mixture of office and home working, and flexible working arrangements are available so that our people are engaged to give their best.
We care about our communities too and offer our employees two paid for volunteering days each year to spend as a team or individually.
The Ideal Candidate will have:
- c.10 years’ experience in relevant background ideally rail & civils.
- Typically, HNC/Degree qualified.
- Some management experience/line management skills.
- Good knowledge of using proprietary estimating software (Causeway preferably) however training will be provided if required.
- A knowledge of standard forms of Contract ability to price in accordance plus communicate the key pricing and commercial issues to governance.
- Strong numeracy skills and a mind for commercial/financial responsibility.
- Excellent IT skills.
- Attention to detail.
- Ability to work under pressure to strict deadlines.
- Good communication skills both written and verbal.
- Organised, excellent time management and results driven.
- Team worker & ability it to develop effective working relationships.
- understanding of sub-contracting principles
- Willingness to participate in site visits & meetings that may be in unsocial hours
- Willingness to learn, including initiating own learning and development.
- Basic understanding of Health, Safety and Environmental Guidelines.
Why Story Contracting?
Story Contracting is a privately-owned, award-winning infrastructure company who is financially secure and agile with a wide range of public, private and third sector clients who enjoy working with our talented and committed team. Our track record for delivery on time and to budget, safely and reliably, has meant repeat business from our clients, which is reflected in our motto of ‘Do It Right!’
Our values are at the heart of everything we do - the way we work and the behaviours we display. We believe that this is what makes Story Contracting and our people exceptional.
GROUNDED - Everyone is equal at Story. We are down to earth and treat each other with respect.
HARDWORKING - We all pull our weight and work hard for each other.
PROUD - We are proud of our safety, our projects, our people, our clients and the success we create together.
FAMILY - We nurture, train, develop and keep our people safe, just like a family. We are inclusive and do the right thing for the business and its people.
TRUSTED - What we say is what we do. Our clients, our people and our communities trust us to do it right.
WINNERS - We are hungry for success and want to be the best performing contractor for our clients, our people and our communities.
Every Story Matters
We are proud to be a place where everyone can be part of the Story!
As part of our pledge to eliminate discrimination and encourage diversity among our Story Team, our ‘Every Story’ policy ensures all employees are a part of a diverse environment and always feel included.
All applicants will receive careful consideration for employment regardless of who you are, where you come from or what you believe in.
Think you’d be a good fit?
Successful applicants will be contacted shortly after the closing date.
Apply today and start your story