Story Contracting has extensive experience in civil engineering and permanent way in the railway industry. We pride ourselves on offering our clients practical and innovative solutions that challenge the status quo. We are award winning and have built a strong reputation for delivering a range of rail projects from earthworks, trackworks, structures and property.
Due to the growth of our Story Scotland division, based from our office in Blantyre, we now have an opportunity for Scheme Project Managers to join our team.
As a Scheme Project Manager, you will be responsible for supporting the Project Manager in the delivery of lineside civils and permanent way track projects in Scotland. You will also play a key part in being able to support our other Civil project teams in the delivery of recently awarded CP6 works.
Reporting and working directly with the Project Manager, you would also be expected to work closely alongside our Project Agents and Site Managers to ensure our clients receive the best market value for money. This whilst maximising profit potential for the business. This is likely to be achieved from an ability to interpret client requirements, think laterally and bring innovation in conjunction with the team.
Responsibilities will include:
- Maximise the performance of projects from start to finish identifying efficient and effective solutions;
- Take ownership for and manage the commercial aspects of the projects through site and commercial teams;
- Ensure timely and accurate close out of projects;
- Act as a Responsible Manager to challenge the teams and ensure the correct resources are available for the project development;
- As the Responsible Manager identify who will undertake key safety critical roles;
- Manage and build positive relationships with all stakeholders throughout the project thus ensuring the needs of clients are met to generate repeat business;
- Developing a positive culture of safety, achievement and performance;
- Identifying and setting quality standards for projects;
- Working with the existing team providing effective leadership, motivation and instilling good communication;
- Promoting internal talent to help the team reach its potential;
- Identifying and recruiting additional members as required;
- Ability to undertake the role of Contractor’s Responsible Engineer (CRE) in line with Network Rail standards;
- Write and prepare site paperwork including WPP / TBS / Risk Assessments / Site Permits;
- Authorise or reject SWP’s prepared by the planner and verified by the person in charge;
- Understanding industry requirements, regulations and rules to ensure identified solutions are robust and compliant;
- Ensure that all work undertaken on is compliant with all health, safety & environmental legislation and best practices, and in accordance with all Railway Group, Network Rail Standards;
- Perform On Call duties in line with the other Project and Scheme Project Managers.
You will have project management skills and experience of managing people and building teams, whilst supporting and developing individuals. With excellent communication skills, you will be customer focused with the ability to engage with clients and build relationships. You must be capable of producing high quality paperwork to programmed dates but also motivated by job satisfaction of delivering projects on time, within budget and driving our safety culture.
Preferably you should have extensive Rail experience and / or construction / highways experience, combined with a good understanding of workforce and the ability to communicate strategically. You will possess the capacity to manage a high volume of workload efficiently and have proficient use of Microsoft Office (Word / Excel / Project). You will be Degree/ HNC Engineering qualified or have equivalent experience. Having any permanent way track related certification such as PTS, COSS, TQS, Track Handback and Stressing is welcomed but not essential. Presence on our sites will be essential, therefore you must have the ability to travel regularly.
In return for your self-motivation and commitment to continuous improvements and profitability, you will receive a competitive salary, company car or allowance, matched company pension contribution of up to 5% rising to 7% after 5 years’ service, cycle to work, help towards healthcare costs and national retail discounts.
Please quote reference SSSPM in your covering email.
Closing date – 19 May 2019