Project Engineer (Hope Valley)
Do you want to be part of a successful, dynamic, forward-thinking business? Do you have a proactive approach and enjoy an engaging fast-paced role?
As part of that continued growth, we now have an exciting new opportunity in our Major Projects Division for Project Engineers with civil, geotechnical, or building services (mechanical, electrical, plant or telecoms) engineering experience.
The role will be predominately site based in Sheffield with a permanent office located at one of our established locations in our Eastern region either York or Normanton and reporting to the Regional Engineering Manager. You will provide dependable and competent technical advice and support to the project teams throughout our portfolio of works. You will have experience of the railway industry and have technical knowledge of one of the core disciplines where Story Contracting deliver the majority of schemes, however a sound knowledge of other disciplines to assist inter-disciplinary interfaces would be advantageous. You will also have demonstrable experience of undertaking roles under the engineering management for projects NR/L2/RSE/02009, as Project Engineer (PE), Designated Project Engineer (DPE) or have had experience as a Contractor’s Responsible Engineer (CRE).
We are seeking candidates that can manage and support the technical aspects of a project throughout the full life cycle, from early design and feasibility phases through to delivery and successful hand back on site. The projects you will be assigned to will range from station, buildings and property multidisciplinary enhancements, structures or geotechnical renewals, through to some of the most challenging enhancements projects being delivered by Network Rail and other infrastructure clients.
You ideally will:
- Support all technical aspects of project delivery with both our engineering and project delivery teams, including construction management, providing site support, managing, reviewing, auditing and promoting site quality checks and technical reviews of QITP’s, QA controls and checks, and safe technical methodologies, providing construction engineering assurance and reporting findings to the CRE and CEM, including implementation of interventions and rectification to maintain compliance with our Quality and Engineering Management Plan.
- Provide support to current Eastern project management functions to either produce site safety and technical/quality paperwork such as WPP, TBS, permits or QITP’s and checks for CRE approval; or undertake the review and approval process for these key deliverables, to support the project.
- Support and carry out the role of PE and/or DPE, in accordance with NR/L2/RSE/02009.
- Undertake the role of CRE Construction (under mentorship where required), in accordance with NR/L2/RSE/02009.
- Provide support to CRE’s and CEM’s with the discharging of their duties under NR/L2/RSE/02009.
- Provide support to the various teams offering technical guidance and best practice with particular emphasis on the estimating function, design, and project development.
As the right candidate for this role, you will preferably hold a degree in civil engineering, and either be working towards or be a member of a suitable professional institution. You will have a good level of understanding on all current safety legislation and be able to contribute to the safe management of design, development and construction. An in-depth knowledge of Network Rail Standards and the Engineering Lifecycle of a project is also a key requirement.
This role is ideal for individuals looking to further develop their career, who have engineering experience delivering railway projects, have carried out the role of Project Engineer previously, and who are looking to develop towards undertaking the CRE Construction role. Through development, the role holder will be provided with a platform and clear objectives to learn and develop towards higher responsibility roles such as CRE and eventually CEM.
Why Story Contracting?
Story Contracting is a privately-owned, award-winning infrastructure company who is financially secure and agile with a wide range of public, private and third sector clients who enjoy working with our talented and committed team. Our track record for delivery on time and to budget, safely and reliably, has meant repeat business from our clients, which is reflected in our motto of ‘Do It Right!’
Our values are at the heart of everything we do - the way we work and the behaviours we display. We believe that this is what makes Story Contracting and our people exceptional.
GROUNDED - Everyone is equal at Story. We are down to earth and treat each other with respect.
HARDWORKING - We all pull our weight and work hard for each other.
PROUD - We are proud of our safety, our projects, our people, our clients and the success we create together.
FAMILY - We nurture, train, develop and keep our people safe, just like a family. We are inclusive and do the right thing for the business and its people.
TRUSTED - What we say is what we do. Our clients, our people and our communities trust us to do it right.
WINNERS - We are hungry for success and want to be the best performing contractor for our clients, our people and our communities.
Every Story Matters
We are proud to be a place where everyone can be part of the Story!
As part of our pledge to eliminate discrimination and encourage diversity among our Story Team, our ‘Every Story’ policy ensures all employees are a part of a diverse environment and always feel included.
All applicants will receive careful consideration for employment regardless of who you are, where you come from or what you believe in.
Think you’d be a good fit?
Successful applicants will be contacted shortly after the closing date.
Click below to apply and start your Story.