Do you want to be part of a successful, dynamic, forward-thinking business? Do you have a proactive approach and enjoy an engaging fast-paced role?
We have an exciting opportunity for a Project Engineer to join our Rail Division, based from our Birmingham office - and there has never been a better time to join!
Reporting to the Senior Project Manager, the role shall provide dependable and competent technical advice and support to the project teams, working as the Project Engineer initially on a range of new build bridges and culverts as part of the HS2 project.
Support the project teams in delivering the business plan by providing technical knowledge within our core engineering disciplines. Focusing on bringing innovation and challenge to the design process together support project management and site management staff throughout the planning and construction phases of individual schemes.
The role will be partly site-based and office-based. The site-based aspect of the role will be to work with Contracts Manager’s project management teams, to offer site technical support, ensuring that robust and appropriate quality and inspection and test plans are in place, being adhered to and as-built information including acceptance testing and site records are being documented and checked against the design and specification requirements. The office-based aspect of the role will be discharge the duties of either PE, DPE or CRE Construction (under mentorship, where required) in accordance with NR/L2/RSE/02009, and to support the project and engineering management teams with the production of critical safety, technical and quality paperwork.
- Provide project engineering support to the engineering, project management and site management functions, operating in a technical capacity to assure designs are in accordance with AFC’s, QITP’s are aligned to specification, quality management controls are robust and are recorded through appropriate handback/acceptance criteria and technical methodologies are well developed and safe.
- Under mentorship and where required, discharge the duties of Contractors Responsible Engineer (CRE) in accordance with NR/L2/RSE/02009 on behalf of Story Contracting on a scheme-specific basis throughout the lifecycle of the project.
- Discharge the duties of Project Engineer (PE) and/or Designated Project Engineer (DPE) in accordance with NR/L2/RSE/02009 on behalf of Story Contracting on a scheme-specific basis throughout the lifecycle of the project.
- Engage with Story’s career development and mentorship programmes, to both develop towards CRE and/or CEM status, and provide mentorship and support to our graduates, undergraduates and trainees, to assist in their development.
At Story Contracting, we invest in our people. We provide award-winning training and development opportunities for all employees to help you get to where you want to be in your career.
In addition to a competitive salary, pension and company car/allowance, we show we care about our people by offering a health cash plan and wellbeing support to keep you fit and well - inside and outside of work.
We care about our communities too and offer our employees two paid for volunteering days each year to spend as a team or individually.
The Ideal Candidate:
- Qualified to degree level, HNC/HND or equivalent in Civil Engineering
- Working towards Chartered/Incorporated Engineer status in a relevant discipline
- Experience of working within the rail industry with a level of proven capability in the Story Contracting core discipline areas and an overall knowledge of multidisciplinary work areas.
- Understanding of site working environments and protocols
- Good knowledge of Network Rail Standards and Governance
- Experience of working with and driving a high level of engineering principles
- Good working knowledge of H&S regulations and legislation
- Experience of working within highly regulatory environments
- Excellent communication skills
- Excellent influencing skills
- Effective team player
Why Story Contracting?
Story Contracting is a privately-owned, award-winning infrastructure company who is financially secure and agile with a wide range of public, private and third sector clients who enjoy working with our talented and committed team. Our track record for delivery on time and to budget, safely and reliably, has meant repeat business from our clients, which is reflected in our motto of ‘Do It Right!’
Our values are at the heart of everything we do - the way we work and the behaviours we display. We believe that this is what makes Story Contracting and our people exceptional.
GROUNDED - Everyone is equal at Story. We are down to earth and treat each other with respect.
HARDWORKING - We all pull our weight and work hard for each other.
PROUD - We are proud of our safety, our projects, our people, our clients and the success we create together.
FAMILY - We nurture, train, develop and keep our people safe, just like a family. We are inclusive and do the right thing for the business and its people.
TRUSTED - What we say is what we do. Our clients, our people and our communities trust us to do it right.
WINNERS - We are hungry for success and want to be the best performing contractor for our clients, our people and our communities.
Every Story Matters
We are proud to be a place where everyone can be part of the Story!
As part of our pledge to eliminate discrimination and encourage diversity among our Story Team, our ‘Every Story’ policy ensures all employees are a part of a diverse environment and always feel included.
All applicants will receive careful consideration for employment regardless of who you are, where you come from or what you believe in.
Think you’d be a good fit?
Successful applicants will be contacted shortly after the closing date.
Click below to apply and start your Story.