Story Contracting is a successful business combining the skills, resources and experience of rail and construction, working as a collaborative partner. Celebrating over 30 years in the general construction industry, and with over 20 years’ experience of permanent way and rail related building and civil engineering projects, Story Contracting has grown into a highly respected company. As part of that continued growth, we now have a new opportunity in our Rail Division for Project Engineers with civil, geotechnical, or building services (mechanical, electrical, plant or telecoms) engineering experience.
Based in our Eastern region from either the York Office or Normanton Depot, and reporting to the Regional Engineering Manager, you will provide dependable and competent technical advice and support to the project teams throughout our portfolio of works. You will have experience of the railway industry and have technical knowledge of one of the core disciplines where Story Contracting deliver the majority of schemes, however a sound knowledge of other disciplines to assist inter-disciplinary interfaces would be advantageous. You will also have demonstrable experience of undertaking roles under the engineering management for projects NR/L2/RSE/02009, as Project Engineer (PE), Designated Project Engineer (DPE) or have had experience as a Contractor’s Responsible Engineer (CRE).
We are seeking candidates that can manage and support the technical aspects of a project throughout the full life cycle, from early design and feasibility phases through to delivery and successful hand back on site. The projects you will be assigned to will range from station, buildings and property multidisciplinary enhancements, structures or geotechnical renewals, through to some of the most challenging enhancements projects being delivered by Network Rail and other infrastructure clients.
Your key responsibilities will include:
- Support all technical aspects of project delivery with both our engineering and project delivery teams, including construction management, providing site support, managing, reviewing, auditing and promoting site quality checks and technical reviews of QITP’s, QA controls and checks, and safe technical methodologies, providing construction engineering assurance and reporting findings to the CRE and CEM, including implementation of interventions and rectification to maintain compliance with our Quality and Engineering Management Plan.
- Provide support to current Eastern project management functions to either produce site safety and technical/quality paperwork such as WPP, TBS, permits or QITP’s and checks for CRE approval; or undertake the review and approval process for these key deliverables, to support the project.
- Support and carry out the role of PE and/or DPE, in accordance with NR/L2/RSE/02009.
- Undertake the role of CRE Construction (under mentorship where required), in accordance with NR/L2/RSE/02009.
- Provide support to CRE’s and CEM’s with the discharging of their duties under NR/L2/RSE/02009.
- Provide support to the various teams offering technical guidance and best practice with particular emphasis on the estimating function, design, and project development.
As the right candidate for this role, you will preferably hold a degree in civil engineering, and either be working towards or be a member of a suitable professional institution. You will have a good level of understanding on all current safety legislation and be able to contribute to the safe management of design, development and construction. An in-depth knowledge of Network Rail Standards and the Engineering Lifecycle of a project is also a key requirement.
This role is ideal for individuals looking to further develop their career, who have engineering experience delivering railway projects, have carried out the role of Project Engineer previously, and who are looking to develop towards undertaking the CRE Construction role. Through development, the role holder will be provided with a platform and clear objectives to learn and develop towards higher responsibility roles such as CRE and eventually CEM.
The role attracts a competitive salary, car allowance or company car, pension and other company benefits. You will be afforded with opportunities to progress and develop. We also operate a flexible working policy to suit our peoples’ needs. You will be supported with your development by our experienced engineers, in your progression as a PE, DPE, CRE or CEM, and with development towards membership of your discipline-specific professional institution.