Story Contracting is a successful business combining the skills, resources and experience of rail and construction, working as a collaborative partner. Celebrating over 30 years in the general construction industry, and with over 20 years’ experience of permanent way and rail related building and civil engineering projects, Story Contracting has grown into a highly respected company. As part of that continued growth, we now have a new opportunity for Engineering Managers (CEM) and Project Engineer – CRE’s in our Rail Division.
Based in our Eastern (York/Normanton) or Northern (Chorley) regions, and reporting to the Regional Engineering Manager, you will provide dependable and competent technical leadership and advice to the project teams throughout our portfolio of works, mainly within the your base region but also further afield when required. You will need to have a wide ranging experience of the railway industry and be a specialist in one of the core disciplines where Story Contracting deliver the majority of schemes, however a sound knowledge of other disciplines to assist inter disciplinary interface would be advantageous.
We are seeking candidates that can manage the technical aspects of a project throughout the full life cycle from early design and feasibility phases right through to delivery and successful hand back on site. The projects you will be responsible for may range from structures renewals, earthwork stabilisation, station and properties enhancements through to some of the most challenging enhancements projects being delivered by Network Rail and other infrastructure clients.
Your key responsibilities will include:
- Discharge the duties of Contractors Responsible Engineer (CRE) and / or Contractors Engineering Manager (CEM) in accordance with NR/L2/RSE/02009 on behalf of Story Contracting on a scheme specific basis throughout the lifecycle of the project.
- Oversee all technical aspects of project delivery by supporting our site-based construction management team. Take accountability for the quality assurance of our projects by supporting the supervisory and engineering teams in the management of Quality Plans and Temporary Works.
- Provide support to the various teams offering technical guidance and best practice with particular emphasis on the estimating function, design, project development.
- Take an active role in the development of the engineering capability for junior and graduate engineers, within Story Contracting by providing Continuous Professional Development, mentorship and guidance to CRE candidates.
- Provide support to the Regional Engineering Manager to develop new and existing work streams by providing confidence in the company’s ability to plan and execute works to the highest standards.
As the right candidate for this role, you will preferably hold a Degree in Civil Engineering and be a member of a suitable professional institution, have a high level of understanding on all current safety legislation and be able to contribute to the safe management of design, development and construction. An in-depth knowledge of Network Rail Standards and the Engineering Lifecycle of a project is also a key requirement.
The role attracts a competitive salary with opportunities to progress and develop. We also operate an agile working policy to suit our peoples’ needs.