Story Contracting is a successful business combining the skills, resources and experience of rail and construction. Celebrating over 30 years in the general construction industry, and with over 15 years’ experience of permanent way and rail related building and civil engineering projects, Story Contracting has grown into a highly respected company. As part of that continued growth we now have a new opportunity for a Contractors Engineering Manager (CEM) in our Rail England Division.
Preferably based in our Birmingham office, and reporting to the Head of Engineering, you will provide technical leadership and advice to the project teams throughout our portfolio of works, mainly within the LNW South region but also further afield when required. You will need to have a wide-ranging experience of the railway industry and preferably be a specialist in one of the core disciplines where Story Contracting deliver the majority of schemes (Structures/Track/Earthworks/Properties), however a sound knowledge of other disciplines to assist inter disciplinary interface would be advantageous.
Your key responsibilities will include;
- Discharge the duties of Contractors Engineering Manager (CEM) in accordance with NR/L2/INI/02009 on behalf of Story Contracting on a scheme specific basis throughout the lifecycle of the project.
- Provide support to the various teams offering technical guidance and best practice with particular emphasis on the estimating function, design, pre-construction, project development and construction phases.
- Where required, carry out the role of Contractors Responsible Engineer (CRE) on a scheme specific basis to provide additional or specialist support to project teams
- Take an active role in the development of the Contractors Responsible Engineer (CRE) capability within Story Contracting by providing Continuous Professional Development, mentorship and guidance to CRE candidates.
- Be a positive role model in the development and delivery of our high standards in safety and quality.
- Provide support to the Head of Region (LNW S) to develop new and existing work streams by providing confidence in the company’s ability to plan and execute works to the highest standards.
As the right candidate for this role you will preferably hold a Degree in Civil Engineering and be a member of a suitable professional institution, have a high level of understanding of all current safety legislation and be able to contribute to the safe management of design, development and construction. An in-depth knowledge of Network Rail Standards and the Engineering Lifecycle of a project is also a key requirement.
Quality is important to us, so if you believe you have the skills and drive to ensure project quality is of the highest standard, this could be the right opportunity for you.
You must be able to work equally well as part of a team or as a standalone service provider and as such be a self-motivated, self-starter who can manage their own workload effectively.
In return you will be joining a business that’s going places and offers an excellent working environment along with a competitive salary, company car or allowance, matched company pension contributions of up to 4.5%, enhanced maternity and paternity provision, help towards healthcare costs, national retail discounts and access to our cycle to work scheme.